McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Yes, it's been months since I last posted anything of substance. In fact, anything at all. Sorry about that. The demands of my job and my problem with fatigue really left me with no energy to do much of anything at all. I admit I wondered if it was time to walk away from the blog given my lack of energy but like so many other times my interest in the blog seems to return and so I will let time tell that story for a while longer. Most people go through periods of change and I am no different. When I began this blog it was an effort to help educate myself and others to what we had here in the heartland with Old Time music. John Hartford was the one that ignited my passion for Ozark style fiddle tunes and I am still grateful for his influence in my musical life. When I started this blog I noticed that many of the noted fiddlers of the previous generation were already gone and only a handful remained to carry on the music. What I discovered was a significant number of people who were keeping the music alive and well and were going to be around a long long time. Two noted bands called it quits this year. In fact, these were my two most favorite bands here in the heartland.Prairie Acre and Mountain Boomers String Band. I sure hated to see it happen but people and circumstances change. Tricia Spencer became engaged to a texas fiddler Howard Rains and the demands of love made them a duo while her tie to Prairie Acre had to end. Tricia is my favorite living fiddler and I have to remind myself she is not dead, just moving on. The Mountain Boomers String Band was a real treat to hear but alas it was only on YouTube and other recorded media that I heard them on, and not live. They were based in Northern Arkansas and I had not been able to go see them there. I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and that you are enjoying the company of good
friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.