McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Saturday, January 5, 2013

June Apple

June Apple is one of my favorite tunes. I first heard it on Simeon Magby's CD that I bought in Mountain View Arkansas some years back. I still actually prefer his version and the clawhammer banjo player on that track just nails it for me. In the following video clip this lady plays it very similarly. I will share with you several clips to showcase the song. I really want to include this tune in the upcoming jam (hint hint). This is an Old Timey tune that is upbeat and cheery. I could not find a heartland regional clip so I am using what I can find from wherever it is. I posted this clip back in the beginning of the blog and it's a good cover of the tune. For you fellow flatpickers, here is a version for you. I really like the fiddle work here. The backup is not to my preference. Seems out of synch with the tune to me. Just saying. Finally, here is a version on Mandolin. Some sources call this an old Scottish Reel. Tommy Jarrell was noted to play this one. Here is a tab on scorch for June Apple. It requires you add Scorch to your browser. Its very safe and a great resource. Fear not. http://docsguitar.com/tabs/JuneApple.html Here are some lyrics for the tune. There could well be variants and probably are. June Apple June Apple Wish I was a june apple Hanging on a tree Everytime my true love pass Take a bite of me Take a bite of me my love Take a bite of me Everytime my true love pass take a bite of me. You ride the old grey mare I'll ride the roan You get there before I do Leave my gal alone Train on the island Heard that whistle blow Thought I heard my true love say Yonder comes my beau Going 'cross the mountain I'm going in a swing And when I get to the other side I'll hear my true love sing. Don't you hear that banjo sing I wish that gal was mine Can't you hear that banjo sing I wish that gal was mine. Charlie he's a nice young man Charlie he's a dandy Charlie he's a nice young man Feeds the girls on candy. Goin down to the river to feed my sheep Going down to the river Charlie Going down to the river to feed my sheep Feed them on Barley. And finally, here is some sheet music with chords for your use. http://looselywoven.org/concerts/caves/music/June%20Apple.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.