McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Friday, October 21, 2011

Songs of faith in Old Time music

I have not, so far at least, discovered a lot of old timey fiddle tunes related to faith. Christian faith specifically. I find that odd. Very odd. Can it be that the old thinking of fiddlers and fiddling being of the devil be somehow true? Well, no I don't think so. It would indicate that at one time Christians looked down on frivolous things like fiddling and the dancing that was a part of that. I well remember knowing people in SW Mo who felt that attending movies were sinful and certainly dancing was sinful. There have been controversies about dancing as recent as the ninties in SW Mo in public high schools. For those folks in big cities, this is hard to grasp but the feelings against dancing and perhaps fiddling probably remain in rural areas. What I am concerned with is the lack of much gospel music in Old Time music. You sure see it in Bluegrass. In spades. Bluegrass Gospel is bigger than ever today and you hear lots of it. Get some old time musicians together and the old tunes get played but where are the gospel tunes? Where are the heartfelt songs of Christian faith and love? I know there are some but how many and just what are ill defined for me now so my latest blogger task is to explore this better and share what I find. If you know of some good tunes that can be considered Old timey fiddle tunes of a Christian nature, please tell me. I will be postings some clips I found for starters this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.