McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Moon Beam Mandolins (Near Poplar Bluff Mo)

This builder is more expensive than the preceding builders I wrote about. He is making a living at this and charging more typical custom mandolin prices than the others.
To charge as much as Moon Beam Mandolins do, you have to have tone and serious tone to keep them moving out the door or word about how they fail to have tone will catch up with you and then you don't sell so many.

It seems they are selling very well and have been quite successful. I have never seen or heard one live yet so again...you have to find out for yourself

You can find them here

http://www.moonbeammandolins.com/index.html

A nice article about them can be found here

http://www.ruralmissouri.coop/07pages/07JanMandolin.html

Here is a Youtube about one of his builds with the buyer playing it on a track


Clever merchandising. At his prices, he needs to be. He has a good thing going there and I wish him well. I used to live not so far from him. Long ago.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just got my moon beam mandolin about two weeks ago - a custom three point jazz model built to my specs, and I'm completely delighted with it.

    Total cost was in the neighborhood of $4000, but to get a hand built instrument made with rare seasoned tone woods built to your specs what do you expect to pay? Frankly, compared to most other custom musical instrument builders, moon beam mandolins is a bargain. To be clear, my mandolin had several upgrades which did up the price some, but considering I will never need another mandolin for the rest of my life, and considering as the wood opens up on it the tone will continue to improve, I could not be happier.

    Plus, Glenn and his wife Bobbie are some of the nicest people you could hope to meet. They communicated with me every step of the way as the instrument was being built, sending numerous photos, keeping me abreast of the progress.

    And did I mention this is by far the most stunning, original looking mandolin I have ever seen? Frankly, I can't believe I own this beauty.

    ReplyDelete

English only. Spam comments are deleted.