McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Woodshedding progress

Since I perked up musically, and restarted my moribund musical journey I have also been a bit daunted by the enormity of the task at hand. I have to start learning my scales. I have to start learning by ear. I have to start digging into music theory in a more serious way. Hey! That's real work!

I have some aids and instruction books to help me and they seem to be very good ones at that.

I am also practicing more often but perhaps not as long due to my arm injury. This has caused me to recall everything I have ever read on the forums I have been a part of and from all the magazine articles I have read all these years. I recalled that keeping your arms and hands relaxed is most helpful. I have found this to be true.

Not playing too long helps. Never push through pain. That is garbage advice unless your a drill Sargent who is trying to prepare young soldiers to charge into the jaws of death!

The light is coming on about keys and capos and scales so progress is being made.

Now if I could only just sing passable. I am finding it hard to sing and play at the same time. Sigh....

I am sticking with the guitar exclusively. I just think I have waited too late to try the fiddle. I need more competency on the instrument I do play before thinking of adding another. If I ever add one, and I might. It would be the Banjo. I love clawhammer banjo and might give it a go.

This is what I see as the "strength" of this blog. At least from my point of view. I am a learner. Not so much a beginner but a learner. Much like many of you. I am trying to learn how to play this guitar I have upstairs. I love old timey music. I love to hear it and I like playing it. I am not an old hand like some are.

You know what? I am gonna end this post and go play right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.