McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Monday, August 16, 2010

Kansas State Fiddling and Picking Championships


I was nodding off as to my duties on the blog. The summer doldrums had me fogged out and I nearly forgot about this.

The Kansas State Fiddling and Picking Championships are coming up this Sunday. Actually there are concerts starting friday but the key contests are Sunday. I WILL BE THERE. You be there too!

There are Flatpicking guitar, Fiddle, Mandolin, banjo, Fingerstyle guitar, Misc Instruments and Ensemble Folk contests. All on Sunday on various stages.



Some good bands will be performing Sunday too. Midday Ramblers are a Lawrence Bluegrass band and I really like them. They are good musicians and employ some humor as all good Bluegrass bands should do on occasion.

The Alferd Packerd Memorial String Band is also going to play and I have spoken about them previously. Not to be missed. Seeing them is more fun than I can tell you.

The HighFalutin String Band will be playing as well. I have not heard of them and can't tell you much about them.


Events start at noon. It's at the park just south of downtown Lawrence Kansas. Runs to five pm.

Be sure to visit their website for more information. There are some workshops as well and you should check those out. Tricia Spencer who plays with The Prairie Acre band will conduct the one on Fiddling.

Steve Goeke the Banjo player for Alferd Packerd will lead the Banjo Workshop.

Jim Faris of the Faris Family Bluegrass band will lead a workshop on the Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.