McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shaped Note singing

I only got to experience this once while I lived in Southern Missouri. Not many folks knew how to do it. My good friend Elmer Shudy took me along with him to a small church in the backwoods of Douglas County Mo.

I enjoyed it but did not realize how special it was. I just knew it was an artifact from the past that still lived by the hands and voices of real people who grew up doing it and still liked doing it. Needless to say, they were all elderly for the most part.

Here is a good professional example first. From the Movie Cold Mountain.



As you can see, it's not all perfect but it's real. This clip is about Appalachian shaped note singing.





Have you felt the tug yet? What kind of tug you ask? There are a couple ways to answer that but if you feel it you won't have to ask for clarification.

Time to grab your hymnal and head to the river my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.