McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lester Flatt


While I was sitting here I had this impulsive notion to say, I am a big fan of Lester Flatt. I love his singing. I love his guitar playing. I miss him.
I met people in the sixties and early seventies in the ozarks that reminded me a great deal of Lester.

I would rather listen to Lester sing than Bill Monroe. Bill Monroe's best band was when Lester and Earl were in.

Say what you will about appearing on Beverly Hillbillies. I think it was brilliant for them to be seen there. It was done with respect. They were shown to be respectable good people and not dim witted hillbillies. They were men from the south. Not buffoons.

Look at the Dillards and the Whites, appearing on the Andy Griffith Show. In those cases the sterotypes were more on the goofy dimwit side but still the music was indisputably good and real.

The world got a peek at something really good. and REAL.

Lester was real. Real good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

English only. Spam comments are deleted.