McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Doc Watson

I was able to see Doc in 06 or 07 here at JOCO. He was in better shape than this video. Since that time he had an operation for cancer and is reported to be doing well but he is in his eighties and you know the time is short for this flatpicking legend.

You can see he is not playing well here. Time is marching on and Doc's day is pretty much behind him now.

Have you always wondered if he really was as nice as his stage persona? From what I have heard, I think he is. I do think he is human and has his moments like all of us.

We should steel ourselves for the day when Doc is no longer with us.

2 comments:

  1. Even if he doesn't play as well as in years before, for me he is the man who help me to understand and love old time music and more. He is a living legend and I don't think about his death. I'm reading his biography "Blind but now I see", it's amazing and I think every old time musician have to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Le Glaude. Doc had the same effect on me. He was the starting point in my love of Old Time Music.

    I hope I can read his biography soon.

    ReplyDelete

English only. Spam comments are deleted.