McClurg Jam

McClurg Jam

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Nigger in the Woodpile by Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers

Here is another example. Again, this was pretty common Minstrel Show stuff in the twenties. This is what our Grandparents delighted in. Sad to say. We know better now.

Now you know more about Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers that you did not know before. UPDATED COMMENT: I should have said, now you know more about our cultural past than you did before. In the future I intend to look at Vance Randolph's work and discuss it here.





At the time the joke was on Black folks. Now the joke is on white folks. There are a number of fiddle tunes out there that had titles like this but were changed. You didn't know what your playing may have had a name like this one did. Did you?

UPDATED COMMENT: I see a continuing trend of people visiting this blog page at this specific place. They must have googled this title and found their way here. Let me be clear that the use of the word nigger is a hurtful artifact from the past that lingers still in our culture. Sadly, young African Americans use this word more than anybody which I find beyond stupid and sad. As Richard Pryor said, "There are no Niggers".
I defend this posting on the basis of the healing nature of lancing a boil. Once the blade releases the foul pus the healing begins and we move on. Face the past with honesty.

4 comments:

  1. There are more than on name for Nigger In The Woodpile. Some names are Stoney Point, Wild Horses At Stoney Point, Buck Creek Girls (or Gals) are a few that just come to mind. Great instrumental tune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. This is exactly what I was shooting for. My lack of in house reference material on titles puts me at some disadvantage on this.
    Yes, I really like the tunes and I think they need to be preserved. The lyrics are historical curiosities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone have the lyrics for this?? Its nowhere on the internet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

English only. Spam comments are deleted.